Ultrasonic Algae Control Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does it work?
The device uses high frequency ultrasonic sound waves to tear the cell membranes,
rupture the little air pockets in pond algae called vacuoles and interrupt the reproductive cycle of the algae.
2. Does it have any effect upon fish?
No. We have many installations with fish, frogs, snakes, turtles and even otters and there have been no reported negative effects.
3. Will it kill duckweed, water meal, milfoil or cattails?
No. These are “aquatic plants.” Our device only kills and controls blue/green and
4. How long will it take to work?
It depends upon how much algae you have in your pond. The best time to put our device in is before the algae season begins.
Typically it takes 3 to 4 weeks before you will begin to see a significant change in your water. If the algae are really bad, it may take up to 5 to 6 weeks to notice any significant change.
5. What size unit will I need?
We have 5 different sizes. The size unit you will need depends upon:
a. the surface area of your body of water (in acres)
b. the amount of nutrients in the water, including coming into the body of water
from other sources
c. the shape of the body of water
6. Can I just buy one device and keep moving it around to other ponds?
No. It is the constant bombardment of the algae by the ultrasonic signal that keeps the algae from reproducing.
7. How does SonicSolutions compare to the competition?
In many ways:
1. SonicSolutions' is the only ultrasonic algae device in the world that has a UL approved for outdoor use power supply. It can even be left out in the elements.
2. SonicSolutions' SS-400, SS-500 and SS-600 devices are the only ultrasonic algae
devices in the world that are NSF61 Certified meaning that they can legally be used in public drinking water supplies in the United States.
3. While SonicSolutions plugs into a regular 110volt AC to 120volt AC power supply,
our control box steps that down to 24volts DC. Our transducer that goes into the water requires only 24volts DC to operate.
4. The SonicSolutions transducer (the part that goes into the water) is the only ultrasonic algae device in the world that generates the ultrasonic signal inside the transducer unit
itself. Therefore the SonicSolutions transducer can be up to 250ft away from our control box/power supply box. All others are limited to 50ft.
5. SonicSolutions is the only ultrasonic algae killing device proudly made in America
(even our circuit boards!).
8. How expensive is it to operate?
SonicSolutions will cost anywhere from $3 to $7 a month to operate depending upon local electricity rates.
9. Can it run off of solar power?
Yes. The SonicSolutions transducer (the part that goes into the water) only requires
24volts DC to operate. You can even tap into any golf course irrigation electricity if it is 24 volts DC and is on continuously.
10. How can I tell if my transducer is working?
There are two green lights on the power supply box. Both lights require positive
feedback from the transducer in the water.
1. Every time the transducer in the water receives 24volts DC it sends a signal back up the cable and a green light on the power supply box lights up. When functioning
normally, this green light is always on.
2. Every time the transducer in the water generates an ultrasonic signal and
pulses it out into the water, a different signal goes up the cable and the second green light blinks.
When functioning normally, the green light should be always blinking.